Friday, February 13, 2009

Its friday already!

Wow! time has flown by this week! I can definitely say that i am so much more adjusted than i was a week ago! (I can say that i am genuinely in love with this place and realize that people would give anything to do my job) Im actually seeing progress, well some, in my language and cultural skills! Last weekend i met my resource family, the mom is a student at the university studying sociology and her husband is an umuganga (nurse)! they have a 3 year old daughter named Amahoro (which means peace)! she is afraid of me! i dont think she has seen an umunzungu (white person). They are here to help me learn the language and to show me the culture. I went to her house and we played this fun board game; even though i had NO clue what they were saying, i still understood what was going on and how to play.

besides the crazy amounts of language classes, guest speakers, and technical classes, i also play volleyball with a bunch of people almost everyday and hangout with friends telling stories of our past; which is such a stress reliever!

last Saturday, we went to a Rwandan history museum! i was good, but i had just walked 4 kilometers in the hot sun without water and still needed to go to the bathroom! i survived and realized i had the rest of the evening off to relax!

Tomorrow, Valentines day: I have a huge Kinyarwanda placement test and we are going to one of the more graphic genocide memorials! if you would like to know more about that topic, i can explain somethings in more detail through e-mail! Feel free to ask me about it! brittanyinafrica@gmail.com

Visitors would be great in about a year!

amahoro na nkunda (peace and love)

Brittany

2 comments:

  1. Yes...I would say your language has improved. At least your English has! Hahaha :-)
    I miss you, and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying life in Rwanda! Happy Belated Valentines Day! Love ya!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so proud of you brittany!
    look at you learning their language.. that is so cool :)
    i love u friend and praying for u!!
    :) :)
    Ezelis

    ReplyDelete